Tuesday 18 August 2015

Mahou Josei Chimaka Chapters 2 & 3 Review

Mahou Josei Chimaka Chapters 2 & 3 Review
by Geordi Demorest

So what feels like a thousand years ago I wrote a review of the first chapter of Mahou Josei Chimaka as well as many, many other titles that I have not come back to reviewing. I put my Cartoon Geek Corner writing on hold mostly because of things beyond my control but also because of work I found elsewhere.  Before I go back and begin reviewing new things I’d like to go back and finish up what I can, things such as manga box where there is no legal way to go back and review the earlier chapter any longer as well as titles from sites like JManga that are long gone obviously not but titles still legally available I’d like to get back to. Boring tangent done let’s get back into the actual content.
               

It’s become clearer over time that Mahou Josei Chimaka pulls heavily from other series in particular Sailor Moon. This becomes very evident in its climax in chapter 3 but that is not to say that Chimaka is not its own thing. It has its own colorful cast of characters and story as well as great pacing. In fact, despite the title, this seems to pull from other cultures mythology for its climax (sadly I don’t feel equipped enough to say which cultures specifically) and despite being self-described as a parody it still feels like its own thing to some degree complete with its own themes such as a more modern view of feminist fiction something Sailor Moon I feel was lacking in from my recollections of it.
                Chimaka is a light and fun read that, once started, you cannot put down. The final chapters in particular are gripping while to a degree staying true to the original spirit of the comic’s first chapter. Despite being a “parody” Chimaka still has its deeper moments which are, naturally, character development and the budding LGBT romance with her co-worker who was introduced in the first chapter but finally has time to develop and breathe as a person instead of just being someone meant to forward the plot. I would say give Chimaka a read if you are looking for a more playful magical girl series with a more feminist as well as LGBT slant.

Grade: B+


Available on Sparkler Monthly’s website.

No comments:

Post a Comment