Saturday 19 December 2015

Comic Corral #1

Comic Corral #1
by Geordi Demorest
So I’m trying something a little different again. This is column is more of a roundup of some of the books and shows I’ve been watching and a more blog style reaction to them instead of reviews with structure to them. So basically what I’ve been doing.

Island issues 1-4: This one caught me off guard. I hadn’t expected to enjoy this as much as I do. Not all of the stories were winners one of the stories in particular in which people have devices that do everything for them seemed to clash with the more surrealist at times almost dada.
Lettera volume 1: This one can be found on the sparkler monthly site where it is currently being serialized. It does this weird thing where it goes into super deformed mode at odd times, as in, most of the time. I really like series with strong female protagonists and this is a prime example of that. The heroine, who doesn’t have much depth so far honestly, can hold her own in a fight and has a compelling personality.
Orange Junk Chapters 1-14: This comic is kind of a guilty pleasure with not too much substance to it. It’s a fun read and also can be found on the sparkler monthly website. The modeling arc is by far my favorite as it actually has some stakes and greatly expands the cast.
Natsume’s Book of Friends volume 10: I have always been a fan of Natsume, though admittedly I still have the fourth/final season sitting unfinished on my CR queue. It’s a quiet series though my favorite moments are the more suspenseful ones. This volume pretty much continued to stick to the series’ status quo for better and for not so well.
Big Punch Magazine issue 1: I’d been vaguely aware of this magazine for some time but never had gotten around to reading it mostly because I wasn’t sure it would stay afloat for long. The end of the year though and it’s still around. The stories are compelling and too my liking in art style Though don’t really care for the first story in the issue.

There was a lot more that I read recently, and continue to read, and I might get around to writing up about those series at some point too. Anywho, have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment